Jump to content
×

Upgrade from 2.4.0 to 2.4.1 (self hosted)


Michael

if you are upgrading from 2.4.0 of babble self hosted, you will need to do the following steps:

  1. download a new babble.js and packages.json from ACP->Babble->Configuration->General, Node Settings tab.
  2. replace your babble.js and packages.json with the ones you just downloaded.
  3. run from terminal/ssh in the directory that contains the babble.js and packages.json
    npm update 
  4. (if the above command throws an error, try npm rebuild and then run npm update).

  5. restart/start the babble.js

this is needed cause of updates to babble.js and upgrading socket.io from 1.4.5 to 2.0.3.

Edited by Michael

  • Thanks 1


User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I got some error (my apologies; I forgot to capture that error but it was about "folder not exist" for something) after executed "npm update" alone. I use "npm rebuild" first then "npm update" and everything works fine. I will let you know for any further issues. Thank you.

  • Thanks 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Foolboy said:

I got some error (my apologies; I forgot to capture that error but it was about "folder not exist" for something) after executed "npm update" alone. I use "npm rebuild" first then "npm update" and everything works fine. I will let you know for any further issues. Thank you.

did you upload babble.js and packages.json to a different folder than your previous one? that is the only thing i can think of, as all my test and upgrades last night i just ran "npm update" and it worked. but i'll edit the guide here to include rebuild too.

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Michael said:

did you upload babble.js and packages.json to a different folder than your previous one? that is the only thing i can think of, as all my test and upgrades last night i just ran "npm update" and it worked. but i'll edit the guide here to include rebuild too.

Hi Michael,

I am using the same folder as in Babble 2.4.0 (the folder in IPS that I mentioned in your private support ticket) When I got error after executed "npm update", I firstly use "npm ls" to see if there is any error in the local node_module folder and, as you mentioned in the private support, it was the local node_module from Babble 2.2.8 so it throw out many error and extraneous package. I think that my outdate node_module package and failure to execute full npm update on Babble 2.4.0 is the reason why I got this error. Anyway, I can confirm that running npm rebuild can resolve this issue. Thank you.

P.S. I think the Babble online list is now showing correctly. Great work!

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2017 at 5:59 PM, Foolboy said:

Hi Michael,

I am using the same folder as in Babble 2.4.0 (the folder in IPS that I mentioned in your private support ticket) When I got error after executed "npm update", I firstly use "npm ls" to see if there is any error in the local node_module folder and, as you mentioned in the private support, it was the local node_module from Babble 2.2.8 so it throw out many error and extraneous package. I think that my outdate node_module package and failure to execute full npm update on Babble 2.4.0 is the reason why I got this error. Anyway, I can confirm that running npm rebuild can resolve this issue. Thank you.

P.S. I think the Babble online list is now showing correctly. Great work!

that was probably it, as the ones i upgraded were "fresh" folders. 

and i hope to have finally put the nail in the online list, its been driving me and everyone "mad" for months.  actually regretted including it. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you very much for your hard working. Will see if the latest 2.4.3 version brings more reliability to the Babble. B| 

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Foolboy said:

Thank you very much for your hard working. Will see if the latest 2.4.3 version brings more reliability to the Babble. B| 

the biggest change was with "guest" and users on slow connections, they were getting an error about the socket being closed before it could be establish. it was a mess in the code that was causing the condition, i'll have nightmares for years cause of it :P 

  • Haha 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites


Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×