since i have some free time for the next several weeks, i thought i'd jump on in on babble 2.9/3.0 (more than likely be 3.0 finally).
but here is a quick video on the new look for babble. if you have followed the babble saga for the awhile, you will know i've never been quite happy with the layout of babble. it was archaic imho, mostly due to the original spec that babble was written under. i experimented with a "slack" like layout, but i wasn't too happy with that one either, that is why the original 3.0 was always being "delayed". also there are other chats out there and i think i need to really set babble apart from the others.
i thought about trying to keep both designs, but i've done that in the past with other apps of mine, and it really isn't a good thing. it delays development and can potentially add in bugs.
- private rooms (this will replace the current "whispers", you will create a private room and invite a person or people to it instead).
- multiple rooms on the same page.
- globally placement of the "chatbar" (it will show up on everypage, i will more than likely give an option to limit it to specific apps).
- new design
this isn't an exhaustive list, i have more, but they aren't well defined yet.
features possibly being removed:
- reverse ordering...this has been the bane of my existence. this was something that was in the original spec, that i just sorta got straddled with when i made it public. i think it is time for it to die, as it has made coding around it very difficult, in a lot of regards i think it has actually held babble back in some ways. i honestly don't think i can be talked out of this, i think it will die. the order i'll be keeping is the new messages at the bottom (which i would consider to be the "natural" order, cause that is how they come out of the database and that is how most chat apps work to begin with).
- widget/landing page/menu - i will be removing the widget/landing page and menu navigation as it will no longer be needed.
- popout - the pop out feature where you could have it open up in its own separate window, as it doesn't fit in with the new
- archive - i'm really not sure how much this one is used, its made a mess of the code in some places, so i might consider moving messages into the search index, or at least giving people the option to turn it on, cause that was original the whole point of the archive was in the first place, i just don't think it is needed any longer tbh.
okay i will have more info in the coming days, maybe more videos, but as you can see in the video, its still quite buggy